Braintree Community Hospital (BCH)
Planning your journey
Telephone: 01376 555900
Bus routes run from nearby Braintree and Chelmsford rail stations. You can plan your journey on the Greater Anglia website.
Orsett Minor Injuries Unit (MIU) treat minor injuries that do not need a visit to A&E. The unit is managed by nurses and is available to everyone. Patients do not need an appointment.
Some of the minor injuries that can be treated include:
- Uncomplicated fractures
- Insect and animal bites
- Minor cuts and bruises
- Minor burns and scalds
- Firework injuries
- Minor head injuries
- Closure of lacerations by suturing, stapling and gluing
- Foregin bodies i.e. in ears, nose or piercing skin
- Eye injuries
- Sprains and strains
- Emergency contraception (for teenagers and special circumstances)
Planning your Journey
Telephone: 01268 524900
There is a bus stop outside the front of the main entrance which can be reached by a number of buses.
Rail company C2C operates frequent trains to Stanford-le-hope where a bus can be caught direct to Orsett Hospital. Click on the link below to plan your journey time and cost. Check out the C2C timetable for more information.
St Michael’s Hospital
St Michaels is located In Braintree, and has a birthing centre and also offers a range of therapy services including blood tests.
Planning Your Journey
The links below will be useful to those travelling to the St Michael’s site.
Parking is extremely limited. If you are unable to travel by public transport, we would recommend that you park off site in one of the town's car parks. Please leave the limited spaces available for those who cannot manage without them.
A number of bus services operate regularly from surrounding areas to Braintree. These include:
- A daily service covering Bocking, Braintree and Black Notley (No 21)
- A Monday to Saturday circular service through Braintree (N 30)
- A six day a week circular service covering Kings Park, town centre, White Court and Great Notley (No 34)
- A Monday to Saturday service from Colchester, Marks Tey and Coggeshall into Braintree and Chelmsford (No 70/70X)
- A Monday to Saturday service linking the surrounding villages such as the Hedinghams, Great Yeldham and Ridgewell to Braintree (No 89/89B)
- A daily service from Stansted Airport through Great Dunmow to Braintree (No 133)
Other services run on specified days of the week, linking Braintree to the surrounding towns and villages such as Terling, Saffron Walden, Hatfield Peverel and Stisted.
For bus timetable information visit https://www.firstgroup.com/essex/plan-journey/timetables
For help to plan your bus journey visit https://www.firstgroup.com/essex
Braintree Community Transport may also be able to assist members in travelling to visit friends or relatives in hospital. For more information, please contact them directly on 01376 327357.
Braintree has a railway station in the town centre with regular trains on the London to Ipswich lines. This gives easy access to both St Michael's Hospital in Rayne Road, and William Julien Courtauld in London Road. Visit https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/travel-information/station-information to plan your route.
There are no restaurant or shop facilities on this site.
St Peter's Hospital
St Peter's Hospital is located in Maldon, and has its own maternity unit and outpatients' clinics.
Planning Your Journey
The links below will be useful to those travelling to our St Peter's Hospital site.
There is extremely high demand for very limited parking spaces at St Peter's. If you are able to travel in another way, or park off site and walk in, we would urge you to do so and leave a valuable space for someone who cannot manage without it.
- Where is the hospital? (Road map)
- Route planner (Plan your journey to the hospital, the postcode is CM9 6EG)
There are several bus services from surrounding towns and villages that can get you to the Spital Road hospital. The main services are:
- A frequent Monday to Saturday service from 7am until 11pm running from Chelmsford to Burnham on Crouch, covering all villages en-route and St Peter's hospital (No 31X)
- A six day a week service from Maldon to Chelmsford, covering Heybridge Basin, Hatfield Peveral and villages en route (73/73A)
- Maldon to Colchester, six days a week, covering Great Totham and Tiptree (No 75)
- Blackwater Link. A Monday to Saturday service from Witham, covering Wickham Bishops, Great Totham, Heybridge and Maldon (No 90)
- A six day service from Tollesbury to Maldon (No 95).
Extra services also run on specified days of the week linking Maldon with surrounding rural areas including Asheldham, Tillingham, St Lawrence, Woodham Walter and Southminster. In addition, Viking Community Transport is able to arrange for its members to visit friends or relatives in hospital. For further information about this scheme, please contact them directly on 01621 843164.
From the town centre, you can catch a bus to any major local residential area. Other services connect the town centre and Broomfield Hospital with areas out to:
- Wethersfield (including Stebbing and Felsted, no.16)
- Great Waltham, Great Dunmow and Stansted Airport (no.33)
- Pleshey and Little Waltham (no.52)
- Black Notley and Terling (off peak only, no.344) and
- Braintree and Halstead (no.352)
For bus timetable information visit https://www.firstgroup.com/essex/plan-journey/timetables/?operator=8&page=1&redirect=no
For help planning your journey, visit https://www.firstgroup.com/essex
Please note there is no railway station in Maldon. Hatfield Peverel, which is approximately 5.4 miles from the hospital, is the nearest station to the hospital and Maldon is approximately a 30 minute drive from Chelmsford. There is a bus service available to Maldon from Chelmsford.
There's a restaurant at St Peter's, Le Caf.
There are also two tea bars run by volunteers in the mornings in the outpatients area and in the main building near the wards in the afternoon.
Cash point, post box, and pay phones
There is a public pay phone in the main building near the wards.