Complaints department contact details


Telephone 01268 394440




Telephone 01245 514130




Telephone 01702 385333



You can also address a complaint letter to the PALS & Complaints Team at the relevant hospital address, which you can find on Our hospitals page.

Making a complaint at our MSE hospitals.

If you have concerns about your care, we would encourage you to speak with the staff directly involved in your care first, as this is often the best way to get things resolved.  Alternatively, the PALS team can help you contact a senior manager or someone who's not directly involved in your care PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service)


If you feel you can't discuss your concerns with staff in the department looking after your care or treatment, or you want to make sure that your concerns are fully investigated and you are provided with a full written response, you can raise your concerns formally.  Please contact the Complaints Department.

Please be assured that if you make a complaint this will not adversely affect the care or treatment you receive.  We treat all concerns and complaints in the strictest confidence and keep details of your complaint separate from your medical records.

You can make your complaint in writing by letter or email, or by phone. If you make a verbal complaint, we will make a written statement of the conversation, and ask you to confirm that the statement is accurate. We can't start to investigate your concerns until you confirm that the written statement accurately reflects the details of the complaint you've raised with us. 

A friend, relative or other person can complain on behalf of a patient, but we need the patient’s consent to carry out a full investigation.

When we receive your complaint, we will contact you within three working days to confirm that we've received your complaint. It can take us up to 40 working days to provide a response to your complaint.

Once we complete our investigation, we might suggest that a meeting would be helpful to go through the details with you. We will either write to you or phone you to offer a meeting. 

We will send a full written response, which is usually signed by the site Managing Director, but is sometimes signed by another Trust Board member.

In our responses we aim to give you explanations, information, answers to your questions and an apology, if that's appropriate. We will also explain any actions we're taking to improve our services in response to your comments and complaints.


Sometimes we might receive a freedom of Information request to provide a redacted copy of your complaint.  This means that details of the complaint that don't contain personal details might be shared. If you don't want us to share your complaint in these circumstances, please tell us in your letter.


When making a complaint, it helps if you tell us

  • Your name, address and phone number
  • When and where the problem happened
  • The patient’s name, address and date of birth if you are writing on behalf of a relative or friend. Please include their consent or their signature to show that they are happy for you to make a complaint on their behalf
  • Relevant details about what happened
  • A clear set of questions explaining that you would like us to answer and show what you would like us to investigate
  • An indication of what outcome you would like to see from your complaint

If you are unhappy with our response to your complaint, please let us know as soon as possible:

  • If you feel there are any questions we have not answered
  • If there are issues where you feel we could take further action
  • If you have any new cause for concern which was not raised earlier

The sooner you contact us, the sooner we can discuss how to resolve your concerns. If possible please contact us within 28 days of the last time we contacted you.

We will be happy to carry out further investigations, where appropriate, and we might suggest a meeting at this stage, if we've not had a meeting before.


We always try and resolve your complaint to your satisfaction. However, if you're still unhappy, The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman investigates complaints about NHS services, including how complaints have been handled locally. The Ombudsman will not usually investigate unless you have complained to the Trust and had a final response.

We can provide you with more information about the Ombudsman’s role on request, or you can visit their website to get information on their role and process.  Their website is and their contact details are:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower

Telephone: 0345 015 4033




Last published: